AUTOMATED GUIDED VEHICLES
WHAT ARE AGVS?
AGVs Automated Guided Vehicles, also referred to as AGVs, are an unmanned computer controlled, wheel based vehicle (also referred to as a mobile robot), that run on your plant floor or outside pavement. They are programmed to carry loads within defined paths or areas, with navigation being achieved by several different means.
- Laser Triangulation
- Natural Feature
- Magnetic Tape
- Magnetic Grid
They offer dependable, automated movement of materials throughout your facility in a safe, flexible, and timely manner. They are especially beneficial when space saving is important, and are designed to handle a wide variety of load types, heights, load weights, and aisle widths.
An AGV system consists of five major components – 1) the Vehicle, 2) Host Software, 3) Wireless Communication, 4) User Interface, and 5) a Battery & Charger.
WHERE AGVS MIGHT BE CONSIDERED A VIABLE SOLUTION
- In applications that involve process automation.
- Multi Shift applications.
- For transporting consistent and stable loads over extended distances.
- In non value-added material movement applications.
- When it is not appropriate to use manually operated forklifts.
- Applications that require steady and constant throughput.
- When wanting to create a safer working environment.
- For dispatch transporting and sorting loads.
- As a reliable, consistent interface to ASRS.
TYPES OF AGVS
Masted AGVs are the most flexible of the types and resemble typical manual lift trucks. They can be fitted with standard lift truck attachments such as forks and clamps.
Compact vehicle that usually sits directly underneath the load and is able to interact with stands and conveyors.
TOW VEHICLES & CARTS
Also referred to as tugger vehicles, they usually tow up to 3-wheeled carts.
Designed for applications that involve unique loads.
INDUSTRIES THAT CAN BENEFIT FROM USING AGVS
- Distribution Centers
- Food & Beverage
APPLICATIONS & MOVEMENTS IDEAL FOR AGVS
- Product storage & retrieval
- Pallet handling
- Work -in-process movement
- Raw material movement
- Finished goods movement
- Parts & Tooling delivery
- Automatic truck & trailer loading
- Work cell to work cell
- Manufacturing to warehouse
- Warehouse to manufacturing
- Warehouse to picking
- Receiving to warehouse
- Picking to shipping
- Long haul transportation
BENEFITS OF AGVS
Reduction in picking and shipping errors.
Capable of interfacing to a variety of stands, automation, manufacturing operations.
REDUCTION IN LABOR COSTS
Up to 100% labor reduction and overtime and turnover costs can be eliminated.
Accidents involving forklifts, and damage to your equipment and facility by forklifts, can be reduced and/or eliminated.
DISCOVER WHETHER AGV IS RIGHT FOR YOUR COMPANY
Our systems experts can help you analyze the data, and determine whether Automated Guided Vehicles can help you achieve your long term space and workflow needs. We look forward to discussing your challenges, and coming up with a solution.CONTACT US TODAY